Skip to content

Making Old Friends New Again

If there’s any good use for Facebook/LinkedIn/etc, it’s that.

I’ve been enjoying finding former Army colleagues and friends and being found by same the last couple of months in particular. Imagine how near-impossible it would have been only a few short years ago.

Defense Language Institute-San Francisco folks, 18th MI Bn Munich, Germany folks, old college friends both in the US and Austria…and anyone else that’s found me online at any point in the past, present and future: Hello. Again.

I look forward to reconnecting. In most cases, it’s been quite a while.

Posted in gatherings, social media, social networking.

Tagged with , , , , , , , , , , , , .

8 Responses

1. Rick Romero says

Great to see you again as well, Alex!

2. Alex says

Glad to hear from you, Rick. Also pleased (and a bit jealous) you’re enjoying your move to Italy so much. :) Thanks for all you do and have done.

3. Moses Onciu says

Just found your post. I was in 5th MI, 82-85 (Hungarian/Romanian/Serb section). Miss the old building 1 guys, Conrad, Laslo, etc… Anyone know where Conrad is I’d like to connect with him.

4. Alex says

I wasn’t there until Jan ’87, so we missed each other. One of the best experiences of my life, for sure. Lots of great people I still truly miss.

There’s a pretty good presence of 18th MI and 5th MI folks on Facebook, actually. Maybe someone there knows something?

18th FB group:

5th FB group:

Good luck, and thanks for stopping by!

5. Kevin Gator says

How’s the ol’ Apple IIe holding up?
    -Gator

6. Alex says

Hey there, stranger! I think I still have that thing, somewhere. It was a beast–probably still is. I’m not quite as confident about any old floppies I might have for it, though… I should dig it out and try firing it up.

Glad you’re still out there; I apparently lost your contact info at some point and have been wondering how you’re doing. :)

7. Gator says

Happy New Year to you! I just pulled the ole 5.25 box off the shelf & got some blanks if you “need” them!!! We’re all doing fine up here – dropped my email below, so use that or LinkedIn and we’ll see if our travel schedules cross soon.

8. Alex says

@Gator: We’ll definitely need to hook up and chat sometime. Did you try any of those diskettes, btw? ;)

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.